ANDRE GOMES’S season is over but the Everton midfielder could be back in action by the start of next campaign if all goes well in his recovery, a leading orthopaedic surgeon has said.
Gomes suffered a fracture dislocation when he fell badly following a challenge from Tottenham’s Son Heung Min, who was sent off in tears during Sunday’s 1-1 draw.
Gomes underwent surgery today and is now set to begin a lengthy rehabilitation process, but Andrew Goldberg, consultant orthopaedic surgeon at The Wellington Hospital, part of HCA UK, said a best-case scenario would see the Portugal international return to training in six months.
“I think usually it would take around six months to recover from this type of injury,” Goldberg said.
“It’s impossible to predict precisely because it depends on so many factors — whether or not the blood flow has been impinged to any of the bones, what the configuration of the fracture is, which bones have been injured, and his healing capacity.
“Obviously with a Premier League footballer you’re optimising the rehabilitation process and elite athletes have the best chance, but you can’t alter the other three factors.
“Six months I think would be the best-case scenario but it could take up to a year.”
Everton forward Cenk Tosun has spoken about how he desperately tried to comfort teammate Andre Gomes after the midfielder suffered a horrific ankle injury against Tottenham which left Spurs' forward Son Heung-min traumatized. Portugal international Gomes was fouled by Spurs forward Son Heung-min, catching his right foot in the Goodison Park turf just as Tottenham defender Serge Aurier crashed into him.
Gomes’ ankle contorted in horrific fashion, leaving him stricken and screaming in agony on the pitch as players and medical staff rushed to his aid. He was stretchered from the pitch and it was later confirmed that Gomes would undergo surgery on Monday at the local Aintree Hospital for a broken and dislocated ankle. Everton’s Turkish forward Tosun, who was seen attempting to comfort his teammate on the pitch, cradling his head in his hands, spoke about the distressing scenes.
“Everybody is so sad inside. Some players, they nearly cried,” Tosun said afterwards.
“Andre was in shock. His eyes were open so big. He was crying, shouting and screaming. I just tried to hold him and speak to him. I tried to tell him to stay calm. We couldn't understand him. He was the one who had got the injury.” Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino said that Son was “devastated” over his role in the incident, but added that there was no malicious intent from the South Korean – something which Everton boss Marco Silva agreed with.
“The players from Everton came to console [Son]. Of course, in the moment it was a little confusing. No one knows on the pitch when it was an action. The action was very, very bad luck,” Pochettino said. The Argentine extended the club’s best wishes to Gomes, but also questioned whether Son should have been sent off for what was deemed “endangering the safety of an opponent.”
“We all feel so bad for Andre. I want to send my best wishes to him and his family for his recovery. We are going to talk about the VAR, the VAR need to check if it was a bad tackle and not a bad injury. We feel very disappointed with this situation by the VAR,” the Spurs boss said.
Andre Gomes filmed a video with Everton reading through the hundreds of letters he's received since his Ankle injury against Tottenham earlier this Month.
Gomes offered his thanks to the countless messages of support he's received since the horror injury he suffered against Tottenham on November 3.
The Portuguese Midfielder was driving with the ball into Tottenham's half before Son Heung-Min collided with him. Gomes couldn't keep his balance and the impact on to the ground caused the devastating injury. Gomes had surgery on the ankle at Aintree Hospital and is expected to make a full recovery.
And as he continues to build back up from the injury, Everton sat the 26-year-old down and showed him some of the support he had received from across the world in the form of letters and emails.
The Portuguese International agreed to read through a few of the letters, saying:
😢 | Things got a bit emotional when André Gomes sat down to open the hundreds of letters of support you sent in following his injury...
"To everyone, thank you. "Hey guys. I received a lot of letters and emails and I would like to thank you all for your kind support. It means a lot for me. It will make this easier."
Gomes had received messages from many Everton fans, but also from fierce rivals Liverpool as well:
"From Regan, 'I'm a Liverpool fan but I hope you get better soon.'
"We know sometimes how hard it is for a football fan, from other team's support, it doesn't matter the colour - thank you Regan for your support." At the end of the video, Gomes signed off saying:
"I have a lot of letters here, I will try to take my time at home just to read everything...Honestly guys, it's almost impossible. I feel sensitive and emotional with what you are doing with me."
"I just need to thank you all. It's just emotion... wow. I'll be back stronger for sure and I want to help the team reach the goals we set at the beginning of the season. And just, once again, thank you for everything."