Tottenham Hotspur will reportedly battle Everton for the signature of Barcelona midfielder Andre Gomes at the end of the season. Gomes moved to Everton on a season-long loan from Barcelona in the summer, and the midfielder has made eight appearances for the Merseyside club during the 2018-19 campaign.
The Toffees will reportedly attempt to sign the Portugal international on a permanent deal next summer, although it is currently unclear whether Barcelona would be prepared to sell.
According to The Telegraph, Everton will not have a free run at Gomes though, with Tottenham also interested in signing the Portugal international.
Indeed, the report claims that Tottenham's head scout Steve Hitchen attended the Merseyside derby earlier this month to watch Gomes in action.
Andre Gomes says he is growing into Premier League football as the Portugal international revealed his happiness at playing in England’s top flight.
Former Valencia player Gomes has been central to Everton’s back-to-back victories over Chelsea and West Ham United – and viewed the authoritative nature of last Saturday’s success against the Hammers as evidence of his side’s increasing maturity.
The 25-year-old’s driving runs from midfield at London Stadium, Gomes repeatedly advancing through the heart of the pitch with the ball at his feet, epitomised a forceful and controlled Everton performance.
Gomes covered more ground [7.6 miles] than any other player on the field. He was accurate with 87.3 per cent of his 63 passes – only defender Michael Keane, who was on target with 87.5 per cent of 40 passes, recorded superior distribution figures.
The match in London represented Gomes’ third straight Premier League start. He played 19 league games in succession following his debut against Crystal Palace back in October before returning from a spell out for Everton’s game at Newcastle United last month and the subsequent 2-0 victory over Chelsea.
“There is a first impact when you start in the Premier League, it is a massive league, with a lot of big teams,” Gomes told evertontv.
“Every game is a challenge. I am enjoying it more because I am feeling more what the Premier League is about and adapting to it. I am really happy to play here and I think the rest we had after the Chelsea game [international fortnight] was important.
“After beating Chelsea, we wanted to keep playing the next weekend.
“But I think the break was good, to have more training sessions and get ready for the next game.
“I think we prepared well and you saw it in the way we played at West Ham – and we were really happy with that.”
Everton hit West Ham with two first-half goals last weekend, Kurt Zouma and Bernard both on target during 45 minutes in which Marco Silva’s side could conceivably have scored four or five.
Returning from the interval, then, Everton would have recalled allowing a similar advantage to slip away three weeks earlier at Newcastle – where Gomes’ explosive surge helped create a goal for Richarlison.
There would be no such alarms against the Hammers, though, with Everton maintaining a firm grip on the game.